Del.icio.us is something that I have never heard of before. I spent Monday evening, first of all, looking at the tutorial and then I used the SJLibraryLearning2 account to get some experience. I scrolled down to L2 tools and clicked on Web 2.0. I clicked on an article called Scribd - upload and share documents online. 12, 433 other people have bookmarked this so I thought I should check it out. Once again, I had never heard of this and was wondering if it was something like google docs. It seems like a great service that allows you to upload and share many different types of documents. Unlike googe docs, I don't believe that other users can edit what you have shared. But, I could be wrong! :) I did look at the tags and the comments and was made aware, once again, that this is a global tool. Comments written in many different languages were there. I noticed some inapproriate language in the comments section, so this type of service would probably be best used by adults, not students. Through this search of Web 2.0 I also checked out 25 Awesome Beta Research Tools from Libraries Around the World - College Degree.com and Booktagger - Your Online Book Collection. I am always amazed at the wealth of information and resources available online. I can see why there is a need for tagging and for services like Del.icio.us. Imagine how much more is out there that we have yet to find.
The only way that I really learn how to do something is to do it! So, I have created a Del.icio.us account. Since I work in an elementary school, I am trying to think how I could use this to help with research. I already create a page of Internet links for the students and teachers for each research unit and post it on my website so it can be accessed at home or at school. I'm want to play with this and see what this can do for me that I have not already done through the pages I have already created. I also want to see if the district has this website blocked or not. Since I do all of my work for this class at home. I am never sure what we can access at school. I also want to see if anyone can post comments to my page. If they can, there could be a problem with not being able to control the appropriateness of what people say. I'll let you know what I find out!
Saturday, March 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment