Wow! I had no idea that there were so many copyright-free books available online either as audio eBooks or eBooks. This seems like a treasure store for high school librarians, specifically, since many students are still required to read many of the classics. Here all of them are - online text or print the text for reading, or download onto mp3s or ipods and listen to later. My only experience with audiobooks has been through companies such as Listening Library and Recorded Books. I have used them extensively to increase my collection of audio books for the elementary teachers and students. Since many of the younger children's classics are here as well, I need to think how I can incorporate the use of these free materials.
I personally would use the audio format much more than the online text. I do enjoy listening to books while driving long distances or while exercising. I don't prefer to read online because it makes my eyes very tired. If I really needed to read the book, I could print the text since it is now available in pdf format, but that would require lots of paper and then what do you do with it when you are finished.
LibriVox was very user friendly and the narration of the title that I listened to was done well. I also liked the fact that you could continue to search other sites while a title was playing, since it played in Windows Media Player. The World Public Library site is amazing to browse. I can't believe how many titles they have made available (free of charge) to the public. I was also surprised to see many government documents available as well. I have never been on this site before. I'm curious to see what the free books will be in July.
Sunday, March 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment