Saturday, March 8, 2008

Week 6 - Thing 14

I have been spending lots of time on Technorati. When I did the keyword search for "School Library Learning 2.0" in the blog posts I found lots of actual articles and people's responses or posts about them. When I did the same search in tags (after I found it in "advanced")I found a lot of blog entries of people who are doing the 23 things, just like me. In their blog entries I did find some references to great articles and research and actually used my del.icio.us account to bookmark some of these. My problem with this Web 2.0 class is that I get so deep into looking at articles, blogs, etc. that I lose track of what I am supposed to be doing! :) Lastly, when I searched in the blog directory I seemed to get more "official" blogs from company execs and organizations. That was my read on these searches.

Well, maybe I am showing my age, but the most popular blog, BoingBoing, had a rather interesting mix of entries, most of which would not make me want to check it out each day. My very favorite of the top 5 was Lifehacker, tips and downloads for getting things done. I found the posts on this blog very interesting. I actually bookmarked this on my del.icio.us account. I just have one question about technorati - How is the authority determined? What does that number mean?

My thoughts about tagging - Tagging does help to locate certain information in blogs but I also found that some people list so many tags that you may be led to a blog because you think it is going to be about a certain topic only to find that the main idea of the blog is something else. I think that some people "over tag" to get people to go to their blog. Because there are no common "rules" for tagging I think that blogs will be missed when you search and others will be found that really don't fit what you are looking for.

No comments: