Saturday, March 15, 2008

Week 8 - Think 18


This was my firsst experience with Zoho. I have used Google docs in the past but had never heard of Zoho. When I went into Zoho and looked at all of the features that they offered, I began with Zoho notebook. I am always taking notes for everything so I thought I would check out this portion. I actually created a note sheet on how Zoho notebook works. I had a little trouble in the beginning figuring out how to enter text but once I found that, the rest was fairly simple. I then saved my notebook and shared it with two people to see if they could open it easily. I talked with one of them this morning and they did not go in to register with Zoho yet to open it.

I also tried to import a PowerPoint slide into Zoho show. The slide was imported but did not open properly because Zoho Show only supports slides done in landscape format and this slide was done in portrait. I then tried to import it into Google docs to see if it would open in portrait there and it only opened in landscape. I could not find in either application how to switch the orientation to portrait. My guess is that landscape is the only choice since that is how most powerpoint slides are made.

Our elementary schools did Read Around the Planet video conferences this year so our tech person uploaded his spreadsheet of all of the district video conferences into Google docs and shared it with the librarians so we could go in and add the video conferences for each of our buildings. This was an easy way for us to get the information to him without him having to go in and add all of the information to his spreadsheet. We could also easily see each other's schedules.

There are some real advantages to Zoho and Google docs. Now, you don't have to worry if someone has the same version of the application as you, and multiple people can edit the same document, if needed. I will probably still create my documents in my Microsoft Applications but upload them into either of these if they need to be shared.

No comments: