Saturday, March 15, 2008

Week 9 - Thing 20



I have chosen to share "Circle of Smiles" which is a video of a book for children. The story is sung and the words are highlighted so children can sing and read along. I thought it was cute. I found two others that I liked as well. One was called "Parents as Teachers" and the other was called "A Love For Reading." Both of these were geared to parents - the importance of reading with and to your child. I needed to go into the Help feature on the blog to be able to embed the video since I had no idea how to do that.

I watched all of the YouTube videos listed on the assignment. I thought that "Introducing the Book" was hysterical. "Web 2.0" was great but I thought that it moved a little too quickly. "Library 2.0 Manifesto" had some great statements and "March of the Librarians" was a nice spin off of "March of the Penguins" but not real informative. When I clicked on "Jack O'Connell Goes Back to School" I actually got the video called "Tin Whistle Duet", which was quite entertaining. I had to search "Jack O'Connell" to find the correct video.

My feelings on YouTube are mixed. I can see why our district blocks the site. There were so many videos with inappropriate language and some of the advertising was not appropriate for elementary, as well. It is fine to find videos in YouTube to use with children but I would never let them go searching for ones. I have been in TeacherTube once before and I feel that it is a much better alternative.

No comments: